Monday, July 30, 2012

Post-Bar...Peru

The bar exam is officially over. And it feels great. The days leading up to the bar were a little tense. The two days of the bar were not the most pleasant. But now things are awesome.
The bar was a surreal experience. There were two thousand people with gallon sized plastic bags trying to disguise their nervousness. All mobbing Hynes Convention Center. The first day of the bar was the multistate exam. Two-hundred multiple choice questions. I thought it went decently. There weren't too many crazy Property questions. And no Rule Against Perpetuities, which was a plus. I don't think even one bank forgot to record a mortgage due to a clerical error.
 The woman next to me got up to hand in her exam an hour before time in both the morning and afternoon sessions. That is either extreme confidence or extreme foolishness. I sat out the entire time, trying not to change my answers.

The second day consisted of ten essays, five in each session. I felt like I had a decent grasp on the morning session, but it really slipped away from me in the afternoon. A few of the essays I read over and over again, wasn't sure what they were asking about, and proceeded to make some crap up.  (My only relief is that other people seem to have done the same thing.) There was one essay containing a trust, which I must have read over and over for ten minutes until I decided it made no sense and the problem wasn't just me. Then I just made something up. On another essay, my knowledge of warranty laws was painfully insufficient. So I made something up. See the trend?

The afternoon session was probably the closet thing I've ever gotten to a panic attack. I lost all concept of time and had difficulty calculated how much longer I had whenever I looked at the clock. I felt myself almost fading into the chair, and the words on the computer seemed to expand. It was slightly disorienting. My last essay must read like the ramblings of an addled man who knows a marginal amount about criminal procedure. I'm just hoping that the first day and the morning session can make up for any deficiencies. But really the important thing is that it's over!

At least we didn't have any bats at the bar exam site (unlike Indiana) and no one had a stroke (Virginia). The worst thing was probably the hour and a half-long bag check line at the testing site, since everyone had their laptop case and the event planners did not use enough foresight.

After the bar, I went to the bar. McGreevy's, that is. The less stressful, more boozy type of bar. Where a number of lovely people came by to celebrate with me. Thanks to the non-bar taking contingent who came out: Ethan, Nakul, Erica, Kait, BDP, and whoever else I am missing. Then there was the crowd who had just taken the bar exam. We were...a deserved mess. We celebrated getting through ten weeks of studying and two (in some case three) days of the most important exam of our lives. There was much rejoicing.

I spent another day in Boston, saw Dark Knight Rises, and came back to DC. Everyone, you don't have to be embarrassed. No one else could understand half of what Bane was saying either. And how does he eat??? He has to drink through a straw, I imagine. But he is so big that he must be chugging protein shakes through the straw constantly. Yet, I didn't see any protein shakes in the movie. Plot hole! That's right, the plot hole I am concerned with has no bearing on the actual film. (Spoiler alert: the other thing that preoccupies me is that it must have taken Batman a long time to draw that bat sign in oil to get lit up, and they only had a few hours left to save Gotham. Is no one else concerned about Batman's time management priorities?)

After spending a couple days in DC, I leave for Peru tomorrow. I think I am all packed and ready to go. I'll be back the 14th. So if you need me, email is the best way to get in touch. Not that I'm bringing my laptop to hike Machu Picchu.
Boom. That's right, I'm hiking Machu Picchu. And spending a couple days in the Amazon. Plus Lima and Cuzco. If you are thinking "Will isn't much of an outdoorsman," then you would be right. ("I'm an outdoorsman, Donna.") But here I am being adventurous and expanding my horizons. My biggest fear about this trip is snakes. Because they are the worst in all contexts. All of them. I think spiders rank at number two. Three is zombie Incas confusing me with a conquistador. If those things don't come near me, I'll be all set.

To Peru!

No comments:

Post a Comment